Monday, October 30, 2006

Monday: fun things that got me through the day

According to FBI statistics, The 'Lou was declared the most dangerous city in America. Violent crimes increased by 20% in one year. Impressive! This had resonance for me because I got into a big argument once with a terrible person who shall remain unnamed who asserted that St. Louis's reputation was the product of a liberal media conspiracy (I'm pretty sure he's also the one who was certain that Charleston's mass transportation system was better than NYC's, so it's clear that his relationship to reality was somewhat casual). I've never been to St. Louis, so I'm not placing any judgments, and I'm sure that a lot of nice people live there (though statistics dictate otherwise). Read about it.

Wow! Dear old Lady Liberty turned 120 yesterday. Can you believe that the guy who sells souvenirs and food on Liberty Island makes $15,000,000 a year? That's a lot of plaster statues and hotdogs! Read about it.

Reese and Ryan have separated. Seriously, who thought this was going to last? Ryan's just too obviously alpha male to handle the fact that Reese brings home the bacon. Flags of our Fathers' box office tank must have sent him over the edge. But I do feel bad about the kids, because they both seem to be pretty involved and loving parents (especially compared to all those other Hollywood types). I also feel a little bit guilty because about a year ago one of my friends had a dream in which I was the cause of Reese and Ryan's break up. We were all at the Oscars and Reese was pissed because Ryan was drunk--again, and he heckled her during her speech and was all touchy feely with Joaquin so the cameras were spending more time on his antics than on Reese's sweet and touching speech (in which she was thanking him, goddamnit. "He always has to be the center of attention", she told me later). So Reese grabbed me and we drove to Malibu for a passionate weekend (the kids were at the sitter's). So, okay, I'm guilty and maybe a little bit excited. Read about it.

No comments: